The MT. ZION Missionary Baptist Church was organized on August 23, 1851 by the
25 Charter Members listed to the left. The
first House of Worship was a small log structure which stood below the road north
of the present building.
In February, 1880 the Church agreed to organize a Sunday School with Thomas
Brooks as Superintendant.
In 1899 MT. ZION Church began to plan for a new building. Mr. Mipe Maddox
gave the Church a deed for the lot which the Church Building now occupies. When
the building was completed it was dedicated on August 31, 1902. Dr. Adoniram Judson
Holt, Mission Secretary for the Tennessee Baptist Convention, delivered the Dedicatorial
Message and Brother R. C. Horner the Dedicatorial Prayer. This occurred during the
Pastorate of Rev. E. J. Lovin.
In 1970, during the Pastorate of Rev. Don Davis, the Church Building was
renovated, bricked, carpeted and a partial basement and rest rooms were added. In
1976, during the Pastorate of Rev. Bill Golden a Parsonage was built on the Church
On Sunday, November 9, 1986 the Church voted to build a new Sanctuary, including
a baptistry, basement, enlarged library and other conveniences. On June 9, 1987
ground was broken and construction began on the addition to the Church Building.